- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups canned cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon carob powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
1. Combine dates and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the dates have softened and started to break apart. Remove from heat.
2. If your dates are very soft, then you may not need to boil them. In this case, you can simply soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes before adding them to the food processor.
3. Combine beans, almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon in a food processor. Add cooked or softened dates and water. Process ingredients until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides. Serve at warm temperature or chilled.
When I first saw this recipe, I could not imagine what a dessert hummus would taste like. It is delicious!! Very easy to make, which is a plus. I found the carob powder and the maca powder at the health food store. I served this topped with strawberries and unsweetened coconut.